The AOFAQ Level 2 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace (RQF)
The qualification is aimed at all employees whether new starters, currently in employment or seeking work.
The purpose of the qualification is to provide learners with the knowledge to identify workplace hazards and contribute to the positive health and safety culture within the workplace. The qualification contains subjects which are essential in maintaining a safe working environment.
The qualification also provides a demonstration of the employer’s commitment to fulfil their legal obligation to provide training to its employees.
Course Duration: Typically 1 day
Compliance and Regulatory Requirements
The AOFAQ Level 2 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace (RQF) is aimed at all employees whether new starters, currently in employment or seeking work.
The qualification provides a demonstration of the employer’s commitment to fulfil their legal obligation to provide training to its employees.
Name: AoFAQ Level 2 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace (QCF)
Qualification Type: QCF
Guided Learning Hours: 10 (this qualification requires a minimum of 6 classroom hrs.)
Where this qualification is undertaken in less than 8 hrs, additional learner instruction may be undertaken through research i.e. Internet, reading or work based activities.
Validity: 3 years
Certificate Price £6.50 + VAT*
* No charge is made for Learners who have failed to attain required standard to receive the award.
1 Understand roles and responsibilities for health, safety and welfare in the workplace
1.1 Outline employers and employees duties relating to health, safety and welfare at work
1.2 Outline the consequences for non-compliance with health and safety legislation
1.3 Outline the requirements for training and competence in the workplace
1.4 Outline the ways in which health and safety information can be communicated
2 Understand how risk assessments contribute to health and safety
2.1 Define the terms ‘hazard’ and ‘risk’
2.2 Outline the process for carrying out a risk assessment
2.3 Describe how risk assessment can be used to reduce accidents and ill health at work
3 Understand how to identify and control the risks from common workplace hazards
3.1 Describe the hazards that may be found in a range of workplaces
3.2 Describe how hazards can cause harm or damage to people, work processes, the workplace and the environment
3.3 Describe the principle of the risk control hierarchy
3.4 List examples of risk controls for common workplace hazards
4 Know the procedures for responding to accidents and incidents in the workplace
4.1 State the common causes of workplace accidents and ill health
4.2 Identify the actions that might need to be taken following an incident in the workplace
4.3 List the arrangements that should be in place in a workplace for emergencies and first aid
4.4 Outline why it is important to record all incidents, accidents and ill health
- Multi Choice Questions (MCQ)
To Awarded this qualification the Learner must achieve a percentage pass in the MCQ paper.
AoFAQ Centre and Trainer Support Materials
The following is exclusively available from AoFAQ to support the qualification:
- This gives details of all the Learning Outcomes with Assessment Criteria and full requirements for the qualification.
Scheme of Work:
- This is a detailed construction on how to present the qualification to Learners.
- AoFAQ have produced a professionally designed PowerPoint that maps the Learning Outcomes to assist the Trainer in presentation of the course. A sample of the slides can be seen in the above graphic.
All these items are available FREE of charge to AoFAQ Approved Centres when 10 Certificates are purchased in advance.
Trainer, Assessor and IQA Requirements
Trainer, Assessor Requirements
The tutor must hold one of the following:
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- Certificate in Education (CERT ED)
- Diploma in Education (DIP ED)
- Preparing to teach in the lifelong learning sector (PTLLS)
- Certificate in teaching in the lifelong learning sector (CTLLS)
- Diploma in teaching in the lifelong learning sector (DTLLS)
- Master of Arts in Education (MA ED)
- Master of Arts in Professional Development, Education and Training (MA PDET)
- Professional trainer certificate
- IHCD Instructional methods course
- Level 3 or 4 NVQ Learning and Development
- CIPD Certificate in Learning Practice
- Proof of 30 hours of training in any subject (must be verifiable)
If your teaching or training qualification is not listed, please contact us.
Acceptable subject knowledge qualifications may include:
The tutor must hold one of the following:
- Level 3 or 4 in Supervising/Managing Health and Safety in the Workplace
- NEBOSH Level 3 Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health
- NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health
- IOSH Managing Safely
- Degree/ Dip HE in Environmental Health, Health and Safety etc
- Any other qualification approved by AOFAQ
No formal Trainer/Assessor qualifications
It is recognised that trainer/assessors may not hold formal qualifications but may have significant experience in undertaking these roles. It is expected that the trainer/assessors be registered and working towards formal qualifications within one year and that the qualifications are gained within two years.
Internal Quality Assurers
Internal Quality Assurers must:
Meet the criteria of the trainer as listed.
- Have working knowledge of the requirements of the qualification they are quality assuring at the time any assessment is taking place
- Have a thorough knowledge and understanding of the role of assessors
- Visit and observe assessments and carry out other related internal quality assurance
Note: It is understood that not all IQAs will be qualified initially, and that sufficient time should be considered to achieve these qualifications. During this time centres should ensure that IQAs are following the principles set out in the current Learning and Development NOS 11 Internally Monitor and Maintain the Quality of Assessment. This could be evidenced by holding a qualification such as:
- SQA Accredited Learning and Development Unit 11 Internally Monitor and Maintain the Quality of Workplace Assessment
- RQF Qualifications based on the Learning and Development NOS 11 Internally Monitor and Maintain the Quality of Assessment
- Level 4 Award in the Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practice (RQF)
- Level 4 Certificate in Leading the Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practice (RQF)
- V1 or D34
Note: This list is not exhaustive.