The AoFAQ Level 2 Award in Conflict Management and Personal Safety (RQF)
The aim of the qualification is to provide learners with the knowledge required to manage conflict in the workplace as part of their role and be able to manage their own personal safety. This qualification is aimed at anyone who is required to deal with conflict as part of their role in addition to managing their own personal safety e.g. lone workers.
The qualification is designed for a variety of sectors and roles which require employees and volunteers to manage potential conflict and their own personal safety as part of their role e.g. dealing with members of the public and fellow colleagues.
Course Duration: Typically 1 day
Compliance and Regulatory Requirements
This qualification is valid for 3 years. There is no requalification course which reduces the course duration. Once the qualification has expired, or is due to expire the learner is required to undertake the course again in order to maintain the qualification.
Name: AoFAQ Level 2 Award in Conflict and Management and Personal Safety (RQF)
Qualification Type: RQF
Guided Learning Hours: this qualification requires a minimum of 6 classroom hrs.)
Validity: 3 years
Certificate Price £7.00 + VAT*
* No charge is made for Learners who have failed to attain required standard to receive the award.
Conflict Resolution and Personal Safety
1. Understand the terminology used in conflict resolution.
1.1 State the HSE definition of ‘violence at work’
1.2 Give examples of violent behaviour
1.3 Describe the negative effects of violence in the workplace that can have a detrimental impact on the business or organization
1.4 State the factors that can contribute to a confrontational situation
1.5 Describe the principles of conflict management
2. Understand the laws that apply to businesses and their employees.
2.1 Understand the difference between; common law, criminal law, best practice guidance
2.2 State in general terms the requirements of the current regulations in relation to the Criminal Law Act 1967, section 3 and the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
2.3 Define the four main categories of assault
2.4 Describe the law regarding self-defence including the definitions of reasonable and justifiable force
2.5 Understand the need to report and record any incidents of confrontational behaviour
3. Understand the concepts of a safe working environment and how the risk of conflict can be assessed.
3.1 Review the working environment to identify risks to personal safety
3.2 State the benefits of developing company personal safety policies and procedures
3.3 Explain how some specific situations may increase the risk of conflict
3.4 Understand the importance of procedures to minimize the risks of conflict
4. Understand the use of appropriate methods to de-escalate a confrontational situation.
4.1 Describe the indicators of aggressive behaviour
4.2 Identify aggressive signals and behaviour
4.3 State effective methods of defusing a potential confrontational situation
4.4 Understand how verbal and non-verbal signals can be used as a means of conflict minimization
4.5 Describe how observational, listening and communication skills may be used to defuse conflict
5. Understand the importance of personal safety.
5.1 Give examples of common threats in the workplace
5.2 Describe how to establish and maintain a personal safety zone
5.3 Describe breakaway techniques to protect personal safety
- Multi Choice Questions (MCQ)
To Awarded this qualification the Learner must achieve a percentage pass in the MCQ paper.
AoFAQ Centre and Trainer Support Materials
The following is exclusively available from AoFAQ to support the qualification:
- This gives details of all the Learning Outcomes with Assessment Criteria and full requirements for the qualification.
Scheme of Work:
- This is a detailed construction on how to present the qualification to Learners.
Trainer, Assessor and IQA Requirements
Trainer, Assessor Requirements
Subject knowledge or experience
- Level 3 or 4 in Supervising/Managing Health and Safety in the Workplace
- NEBOSH Level 3 Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health
- NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health
- IOSH Managing Safely
- Degree/ Dip HE in Environmental Health, Health and Safety etc
- Relevant police/military/prison qualifications
- Relevant health and social care qualificationsAny other qualification or occupational experience approved by AOFAQ (examples include the police, military, health and social care sector, prison services etc).
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- Certificate in Education (CERT ED)
- Diploma in Education (DIP ED)
- Preparing to teach in the lifelong learning sector (PTLLS)
- Certificate in teaching in the lifelong learning sector (CTLLS)
- Diploma in teaching in the lifelong learning sector (DTLLS)
- Master of Arts in Education (MA ED)
- Master of Arts in Professional Development, Education and Training (MA PDET)
- Professional trainer certificate
- IHCD Instructional methods course
- Level 3 or 4 NVQ Learning and Development
- CIPD Certificate in Learning Practice
Proof of 30 hours of training in any subject (must be verifiable)
If your teaching or training qualification is not listed, please contact us.
Internal Quality Assurers
Internal Quality Assurers must:
Those involved in the internal quality assurance of these qualifications (IQA’s) must have knowledge and competency in the subject field as well as knowledge and competency in internal quality assurance.
An acceptable portfolio must show:
- Occupational knowledge and competence in the subject ‐ evidenced by:
– Holding a relevant subject qualification or suitable experience
- Knowledge and competency in internal quality assurance – evidenced by:
– Holding a qualification/completing CPD training or working towards a suitable qualification.
Internal Quality Assurers must:
- Have knowledge of the requirements of the qualification they
are quality assuring at the time any assessment is taking place.
- Have knowledge and understanding of the role of assessors.
- Visit and observe assessments.
- Carry out other related internal quality assurance.
Note: This list is not exhaustive.
Links and Downloads
|Qualification Specification||L2 Conflict Management and Personal Safety Qualification Specification|